Monday, April 18, 2011

Boys will be Boys, but I kind of would like mine to wear a permanent helmet

It has been one month exactly since the surgery and we had our first scare last night! Arghh!! I even fell off my nonworrying wagon! Ty had a fabulous day yesterday. He played outside, drove the toy gator (with a helmet) and then got to play with his BFF, his cousin Dean. Well, as much as I would like to shelter him away from being rowdy, it is very difficult to do that to a 2 yr old. Needless, to say, the boys got a little rowdy and there was an incident. Ty cried and said he bumped his head, but not seeing the entire thing, I didn't know where. I checked him out immediately and he was good. Sure enough, got him home and in the bath and Casey called me in there... "Not to freak you out honey, but has that bump always been on his scar?" WHAT??? Talk about a major panic!! I was ready to head to the ER, but I got my sanity in check and decided to call the on call neuro instead. After a series of questions, sounds like a normal kid bump, which Ty did tell me that is where he hit Dean. I don't know that this completely convinced me, but I accepted it. Thankfully, this morning, the bump is ALMOST gone. Praise the Lord. As much as I would like that fear to go away towards his head, I think it is a little soon to expect it.  I don't, however, want him to live in a box. The doctor said to let him be a boy, and that is what I want to do. Bless his heart, he has already dealt with so much! First, he is allergic to milk, so he always gets to eat different things than his friends and kids. He can't go to fun places like Gattiland, etc..and now, he just had major brain surgery! I want him to live as normal life as possible now, but I want him to be safe, which is no different than any other mom, I know. Maybe I needed last night's incident to know he was going to be okay if he got a bump; another one of life's lessons, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment