Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 4, Much Improvement

Well, we started this morning off at 6, like we do every morning, with the residents coming in to check on Ty (who slept great by the way). This was a little discouraging because they said that he was still draining alot of fluid. Sometimes it tapers in a few days but sometimes it does not.. if it doesn't, they would have to go in and put in a shunt. Although, this is more of an annoyance than anything, I just really don't want to put him through anything else. Kids eventually grow out of them, so they have to be replaced. Playing sports would probably not happen as well if he has a shunt, which I think broke Casey's heart. I decided that I was not oging to allow myself to get down about this, because again, if this is the worse we have to deal with then we will deal. However, Ty's Neuro Surgeon came in and basically said "Don't listen to those guys" he has only been out of surgery for 4 days and he will avoid a shunt at all costs. I guess we will just take it day by day and see how that goes.
After I took a much needed cuddling nap with my little miracle, I had some great friends come by today and both got to see some great improvement with Ty while  the PT and OT.  (When I say PT, I am referring to Physical Therapist and OT, Occupational) First, the  PT came by and had us walk Ty to the play area. Now, this was while he was sleeping, so as you could guess, he was very opposed at first. ( My only complaint is there is no set schedule, so we are not always ready for them when they come in) He wouldn't really walk to the play room but when we got there his eyes lit up and away he went. Now balance is still very much an issue, but he improved drastically. For me, I have to remind myself to hold onto him when he is walking, which is very hard because he has been doing it for so long.  Although he was still somewhat clingy during this, we gave him the option of taking some walking toys back with him and he decided he wanted them all. He pushed a truck all the way back to his room while holding my hand. The interaction with the OT was pretty much the same, however, there was no hesitation from him. His confidence had defnitely increased. His balance was still slightly off, (below his confidence even) so he was trying to go a little faster than he is capable of at this point, but I love to see his go getter attitude. It is funny to see how each day brings a totally different challenge. Yesterday, our challenge was getting him out of the bed and today our challenge is keeping him in the bed.  I probably should have explained this yesterday, but since he has a drain, he needs to be sitting or lying down in the same spot. If he moves slightly, no big deal, but if he moves more than slightly, he has to be readjusted... this makes him very irritable because he wants to be held, lay down on us, get up, etc. Also, the more he screams and cries, the more he drains fluid .. We just have to take it day by day. All of the doctors talk about how excellent he is doing, which is such positive feedback for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment